On entering The Fishermen’s Hospital through the gates (Grade II Listed), one encounters the statue of “Charity” in the centre of the courtyard. This was the first and only freestanding statue in Great Yarmouth. The Fishermen’s Hospital was built in the Dutch style of architecture (starting in 1698 and opening in 1702) with a central courtyard with tiled roofs and inset dormer windows (to the original bedrooms).
Opposite the main gateway is a segmental arched passage with a painted relief of a sailing ship. Above there is an octagonal wooden cupola. In the cupola over the central archway is the timber figure of St Peter (patron Saint of fishermen).