The Fishermen’s Hospital was built in 1702 by The Corporation of Great Yarmouth. It was an almshouse for ‘decayed fishermen’. It provided a home for 20 poor fishermen and their wives.
20 cottages were arranged around a courtyard. They lived there for free and were given a cauldron of coal every week. There was a water pump and “earth closet” privies in the yard. Each cottage had a living room with a huge fire place and either a spiral staircase or a ladder to a bedroom area above.